Paul Ivanovsky is the father of seven amazing kids and his gorgeous wife's biggest fan. When he is not unclogging toilets, making lunches, coaching, driving kids to school, gymnastics, cheer, karate, softball, basketball or wrestling, he is a Price Matching FOOL who blogs over at I Heart the Mart.com. He spends so much time at Walmart finding you the hottest deals that he has his own special table at the Mickey D's!
Price matching alone can save you a ton of money at Walmart. Why price match? Because I don’t want to run all over the city to different stores to get the good deals. I would rather just pick it up all in one place!
Watch my "How to Price Match Video"
Basically, if you take your local grocery store ad and see a great deal on Coke, for example. Store A has it on sale for $3.00 per 12 pack and Walmart carries it for $3.98. You can simply tell them which store at what price and they will override their register to give you the cheaper price. It has to be a normal sale price, not a weird sale where you buy this product and get a different product free. You technically don't even need the ad.
Favado can help with this price matching. MANY people have found that the Favado App is a great way to find all the best prices right on their smart phone. You have all of your local store ads right there in the palm of your hand. If you are ad matching more than 5-6 items, then you may want to make a note so that as you are checking out you are prepared.
Favado App user Dr. Tarunjit Butalia had this to say:
"I have been price matching at Walmart for over 6 months now. Before Favado I had to go through the weekly printed advertisements individually. It was time consuming and sometimes frustrating. I have been using Favado for over 3 months now. Favado has saved me time as well as money. I save 20 to 30% on my groceries at Walmart now!"
The store lists in the Favado App are made weekly by local area bloggers and have all the best deals on everything from meat and produce to dairy items. These are almost always the most expensive items on your shopping list and rarely have coupons. Price Matching these items gives you the best prices from all the stores in one place and can save you 20-40% without ever clipping a coupon.
There is a process that I use to make things go a little smoother. I have found that when you load your groceries onto the belt at Walmart you need to be ready and organized. I put all of my full price items on the belt first. When the cashier gets to that items that you want to price match, you must give them the competitors price RIGHT THEN so they can change the price. If you wait until they are done ringing you up to show them the price match, they will not happily go back and change the prices.
I saw a woman once who had placed sticky notes on her items. The cashier LOVED her! I don’t have that kind of time, but it was a good idea!Just a tip!
5 Steps to Successful Grocery Price-Matching at Walmart:
- Search Favado for the pricing on products in your area. Save those items to your Favado shopping list. Check to see what coupons you have or can print to match up with these sales. I have saved HUGE this way at Walmart!
- KNOW the Walmart price matching policy and keep a copy of it with you. They will not do B1G1 free sales that do not have a stated price, but they will do 2 for $4 or 2/$4. They will also NOT do % off, like 25% off all soda.
- Go shopping! Have your app ready to go. I know you don't have to, but it helps you and the cashier. Make sure you know the dates of each store's sales, since they will need to verify the dates on them--you can only use a current ad price.
- I always place items that I am NOT price matching on the belt first. Then I place my items that I am price matching and keep them separate so I don’t forget…or get distracted by children! I inform the cashier that I am price matching each item as they ring it up.
- Do the Happy Dance because you saved a bunch of money!
Have you used Favado for price matching? We'd love to hear your experience and hope it will help other app users!